Example Paper & Media List for Autonomous Vehicles
CMU’s Relevant Research Centers:
- Vehicle Electrification Policy Analysis: http://cmu.edu/cit/veg/research/index.html
- CMU Mobility Analytics Center: http://mac.heinz.cmu.edu
Selected Recent Publications (All of these papers available here: https://cmu.box.com/s/uzjxndo0u18sl0pghodfbiocjdtvyhy. Additional EV and mobility papers on the research center websites above).
1. Harper, C., Hendrickson, C., Samaras C. Cost and Benefit Estimates of Partially-Automated Vehicle Collision Avoidance Technologies, Accident Analysis and prevention, 2016.
2. Mersky, A.C., Sprei, F., Samaras, C., & Qian, Z. S. (2016). Effectiveness of incentives on electric vehicle adoption in Norway. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 46, 56-68.
3. Mersky A.C., Samaras C. (2016). Fuel Economy Testing of Autonomous Vehicles, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 65, 31-48.
4. Harper, C., Mangones, S., Hendrickson, C., Samaras, C. Estimating Potential Increases in Travel with Autonomous Vehicles for the Non-Driving, Elderly and People with Travel-Restrictive Medical Conditions, Under Review, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2016.
5. Gu, Y., Qian, Z. S., & Chen, F. (2016). From Twitter to detector: Real-time traffic incident detection using social media data. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, 321-342.
6. Huang, Y., Li, S., & Qian, Z. S. (2015). Optimal deployment of alternative fueling stations on transportation networks considering deviation paths. Networks and Spatial Economics, 15(1), 183-204.
7. Qian, Z. S., & Rajagopal, R. (2014). Optimal dynamic parking pricing for morning commute considering expected cruising time. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 48, 468-490.
Anderson, J., Kalra, N., Stanley, K., Sorenson, P., Samaras, C., Oluwatola, O. (2014). Autonomous Vehicle Technology: A Guide for Policymakers, Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation, RR-443-RC, 2014.
Selected Recent Media
1. Washington Post, 12/13/16, Quoted in: “Blind man sets out alone in Google’s driverless car,” https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/bling-man-sets-out-alone-in-googles-driverless-car/2016/12/13/f523ef42-c13d-11e6-8422-eac61c0ef74d_story.html?utm_term=.2cfe111f9c1b
2. Slate, 10/25/16, Quoted in: “How Will Self-Driving Cars Change Cities?” http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/10/self_driving_cars_effects_on_cities_depend_on_who_owns_them.html
3. Washington Post, 10/20/16, Full transcript interview in: Tesla’s deep dive into driverless: ‘This is the most exciting time to be in transportation since the Model T,” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/10/20/teslas-deep-dive-into-driverless-this-is-the-most-exciting-time-to-be-in-transportation-since-the-model-t/
4. Philadelphia Inquirer, 9/20/16, Quoted in: “Fed guidelines for self-driving cars won’t get in Pa.’s way,” http://www.philly.com/philly/business/Fed-guidelines-for-self-driving-cars-wont-get-in-PAs-way.html?mobi=true
5. NPR’s Radio Times on WHYY, Guest for the hour for radio show: “Autonomous vehicle hit Pa. streets, should we be worried?’ http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016/09/20/autonomous-vehicle-hit-pa-streets-should-we-be-worried/
6. Forbes, 7/20/2016, Quoted in: How $600 In Auto Safety Features Could Save Up To $202 Billion In Crash Costs, http://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2016/07/20/just-600-in-safety-features-could-save-up-to-202-billion-in-crash-costs-researchers-find/#7642abe13730
7. Vox, 6/27/16. Quoted in: Tesla and SolarCity? Yes, it makes sense. Or at least it will, http://www.vox.com/2016/6/27/12011634/tesla-solarcity-synergies
8. Vox, 6/13/16. My chart and quote appeared in: Power plants are no longer America’s biggest climate problem. Transportation is. http://www.vox.com/2016/6/13/11911798/emissions-electricity-versus-transportation
9. ClimateWire, 5/6/16. Quoted in: Get Ready for Self Driving Taxis. http://www.eenews.net/climatewire/2016/05/06/stories/1060036815
10. Scientific American, 5/5/16, Quoted in: Demand for Model 3 pushes Tesla to accelerate manufacture plans. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-tesla-build-enough-electric-cars/
11. ClimateWire, 4/5/16. Quoted in: Tesla hit car delivery snags, but Model 3 orders keep coming. http://www.eenews.net/climatewire/2016/04/05/stories/1060035082
12. CNBC, 4/2/16. Quoted in: Tesla CEO Musk Says Model 3 Orders Now at 232k, http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/01/why-teslas-model-3-is-blowing-away-expectations.html
13. The Fuse, 3/31/16. Featured in: CMU: Testing of Autonomous Vehicles Needed to Drive Fuel Economy Gains, http://energyfuse.org/cmu-proper-testing-of-autonomous-vehicle-technology-needed-to-incentivize-fuel-economy-gains/
14. The Verge, 1/27/16. Quoted in: What Will Cheap Gas Do to Electric Cars, http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/27/10828534/cheap-gas-electric-cars
15. Mother Jones, January/February 2016, Quoted in: No Parking Here (on AVs and cities): http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/01/future-parking-self-driving-cars
16. Wired, 11/3/15. Quoted in: This Guy Wants Us to Commute in Shared, Autonomous Pods, http://www.wired.com/2015/11/this-guy-wants-us-to-commute-in-autonomous-on-demand-pods/
17. Urban Land Institute Magazine, 10/2/15. Quoted in: Imagining the Driverless City, http://urbanland.uli.org/infrastructure-transit/imagining-driverless-city/